Marriage Laws

This is going to be real quick, and a more open discussion type post (which I know I won’t get), but I feel the marriage laws are basically a lose-lose situation for the man. I can understand why it was put in place initially, and I have no qualms with that. But now, it should not be able to run in any shape or form. How can a woman be entitled to half of a mans worth she did not work for just because of divorce? Even if it was the woman who caused the divorce she is still entitled to half?

Image result for nick young meme gif

I’m broke, so ain’t nobody taking shit from me lol, but I can’t imagine being a rich man, and getting married in this current climate. This “relationship game” isn’t for the faint-hearted in this generation, so I would rather not play it. I was also recently educated that a prenup does fuck all, and it basically keeps the money you earned before you’re married safe, but the money YOU earned whilst together with your wife is still split, and I don’t understand why. I swear down, I have PTSD from past situations I’ve had with women, and I couldn’t imagine the type of person I would become if this shit ever happened to me, so I would rather stay away from this whole thing right now.

What are your thoughts on this though? Because I had this discussion with these girls in my class at University, and the only thing they kept reiterating was “A woman has to give up her life to take care of the baby, etc.” And that’s a stupid argument because a baby isn’t always involved in these things, so you can’t use it for the general basis for your argument 🙄.

P.S. Why do you have to sign contracts to declare your love for a person. Since when did that make sense?

8 Comments Add yours

1. macsbooks311 says:

Every state differs regarding their marriage laws. Some are equal. In some, it is based on the number of years you are married. For example, here in Indiana, after 30 years, the woman OR MAN is entitled to half. Remember, it isn’t always the woman who benefits. Also, most marriage laws are based on both the male and female working and, regardless of the income, the assets are divided equally. Here is the think. These laws were designed to protect women who were forced to stay home regardless of whether their are children or not. In some instances, the man is the one who is staying home and not working. You make a lot of assumptions in your post, most very derogatory toward women. Perhaps that is based on your own experiences but in mine, it generally is the woman who does NOT fare well after a divorce. Women raise the kids, work at jobs where they are not paid as much as their male counterparts and deal with a society that places zero value on women in general. Personally, I believe marriages should be contracts that you both have to sign before marrying and be a civil license between two people regardless of sex. 50-50 regardless. Done. Then perhaps everyone would act like adults. If not, then too bad.

Liked by 1 person

1. officialosi says:

I’m from the UK, so I’m not well versed on the laws in the US. And derogatory? My tone of voice might have been a bit aggressive, but I didn’t say anything derogatory against women. And yes you’re right, that’s why I said I understand why it was put in place initially, in which I had no problem with, but in this 2020 we’re living in I don’t think it should continue 🤷🏽‍♂️ , and I have no problem with your last suggestion as well

2. Sophia Ismaa says:

I studied family law in uni, and this was my best subject LOL & you have to be pretty ruthless as well because anything goes. 😂 I definitely found it weird that whatever you earn during the marriage belong to both of you, but some of it does make sense e.g. if a woman has a baby, she’ll have to go on maternity leave, meaning she won’t be able to earn as much as a woman could have.

Liked by 1 person

1. Sophia Ismaa says:

And then women don’t get paid the same as men, so imagine how much less we get when we go on maternity leave. And then account the fact that BAME women don’t even get paid the same as their white counterparts, so that’s even more less. But we gotta start demanding to be paid our full worth because a lot of us are more qualified and bring more to the table than them from what I’ve experienced.

Liked by 1 person

1. officialosi says:

You’re right with that and I can’t disagree with you, but again, it doesn’t apply to every situation lol

2. Sophia Ismaa says:

But it applies to most situations, if not almost all if we’re looking at cases from at least this decade and before. Given that it applies to almost all, it becomes reasonable and objective & that’s the whole point. Laws are based on how objective they are and it wouldn’t be decided if it was the case that the woman was making more money and she hadn’t suffered a career setback because of pregnancy. When we can reach the stage where this no longer applies as objective, therefore inequitable, then we can consider moving towards men keeping the assets and money in cases of ancillary relief.

3. officialosi says:

We’ll have to agree to disagree here and on this topic lol

2. officialosi says:

I refuse to take that argument because it’s not universal lol. If it cannot be applied to every situation I use my selective deafness lol